Depa Indiana (CLOSED), 5 Derby Road
As of July 2017 a sign has appeared stating that it'll be opening soon as a restaurant called Niazi Food House photo.
It was previously an Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant called Depa Indiana photo, but this closed down by early October 2016. According to a member of staff at Niazi Food And Wine next door at number 3 (November 2016), it's likely to become a chicken and/or pizza shop, as the owners have had difficulties recruiting Indian/Bangladeshi chefs.
As of May 2017 there's a notice in the window photo stating that an application has been made for a premises licence for late night refreshment and supply of alcohol.
According to the Croydon Advertiser, this was the site of the first curry house to open in Croydon, in 1958. Historical phone books give some support for this, as a restaurant called The Curry House is listed here from the 1961 Outer London: Kent/Surrey edition to the 1984 Caterham & Reigate edition inclusive.
According to a photo on Flickr, it's been called Depa Indiana since at least c. 1985 (most easily visible at original size). However, it's had at least two different sets of people running it under this name. A change of management some time around 2011-2012 saw the food become halal and alcohol banned from the premises photo of sign in September 2012.
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in February 2009
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in August 2011
- Photos of Depa Indiana takeaway menu collected in December 2011: page 1, page 2
- Photos of Depa Indiana takeaway menu collected in February 2013: page 1, page 2
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in May 2013
- Depa Indiana page on Hungry House, as archived in August 2015