Historical version 48 of Crisis Skylight Centre, 11-19 Surrey Street
Drop-in centre for homeless people on the ground floor of Bridge House on Surrey Street. It opened in February 2017.
The premises were vacant and advertised to let photo of sign as of April 2014, and still vacant as of July 2014.
From 5 November 2014 to 2 May 2015 it was home to the Surrey Streatery photo, a "food hub" housing half a dozen food-related small businesses. The official launch was on 5 November 2014 and the project was scheduled to run for six months; the last day was 2 May 2015.
As of April 2015, the goods on offer included Goan, Mexican, West African, and vegan/gluten-free food, plus Goan groceries, juices, and coffee. Food was generally served in takeaway containers, but there was plenty of seating for eating in.
- Croydon Advertiser article
- Eastlondonlines article
- Tamarind And Thyme review
- Photo of the sannas meal from Dos Santos Foods in November 2014
- Photos of Dos Santos Foods signs/menus in November 2014: 1, 2, 3
- Photo of lentil pie and salad from Mum's The Chef in January 2015
- Photo of gluten-free pancake with roast veg and vegan cheese from The Liquid Pod in March 2015
- Photo of arepas with pork from Cravings in April 2015
- Photos of Cravings signs/menus in April 2015: 1, 2, 3
- Photo of jollof rice with chicken from Ekabo in April 2015
Following the closure of the Surrey Streatery, the space remained empty for nearly two years. However, in February 2016, the charity Crisis were granted planning permission to open "a day centre [...] for homeless people" in the space, and this finally opened in February 2017.