Historical version 46 of Depa Indiana (CLOSED), 5 Derby Road
It was vacant as of November 2016 and still vacant as of May 2017, though building work had been going on inside for a while; this situation remained unchanged as of May 2018, October 2018, and January 2019.
As of May 2017 there was a notice in the window photo stating that an application had been made for a premises licence for late night refreshment and supply of alcohol, and in July 2017 a sign appeared stating that it would be opening soon as a restaurant called Niazi Food House photo.
According to the Croydon Advertiser, this was the site of the first curry house to open in Croydon, in 1958. Historical phone books give some support for this, as a restaurant called The Curry House is listed here from the 1961 Outer London: Kent/Surrey edition to the 1984 Caterham & Reigate edition inclusive.
According to a photo on Flickr, it's been called Depa Indiana since at least c. 1985 (most easily visible at original size). However, it's had at least two different sets of people running it under this name. A change of management some time around 2011-2012 saw the food become halal and alcohol banned from the premises photo of sign in September 2012.
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in February 2009
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in August 2011
- Photos of Depa Indiana takeaway menu collected in December 2011: page 1, page 2
- Photos of Depa Indiana takeaway menu collected in February 2013: page 1, page 2
- Photo of Depa Indiana frontage in May 2013
- Depa Indiana page on Hungry House, as archived in August 2015