Alchemy, 28-30 St George's Walk
Nightclub on St George's Walk.
It opened in August 2014 as a Caribbean bar and restaurant offering halal meat and a lunchtime buffet. According to a member of staff in December 2019, they stopped operating as a restaurant in mid-2019 due to disruption caused by demolition of the other half of St George's Walk, but are planning to resume restaurant activities at some point during 2020.
- Photo of A-board outside Alchemy in August 2014
- Photo of Alchemy buffet plate from September 2014
- Photo of Alchemy menu from July 2017
- Di Caripean Foodie review of Alchemy
As of October 2012, there were signs in the window advertising both British food such as fish & chips and full English breakfast, and African food such as eba, pounded yam, and amala. Photos: 1, 2, 3. They also did a buffet at lunchtimes, with half a dozen dishes varying daily. As of November 2012 this wasn't an all-you-can-eat buffet; prices depended on the size of plate you wanted.
- Croydon Advertiser article on Victoria Island
- Photo of buffet plate from Victoria Island in November 2012
- Photo of Victoria Island flyer from April 2013
The last time we definitely saw Victoria Island open was in October 2013. As of March 2014 we hadn't seen it open for a while, despite walking past fairly often, and by June 2014 the frontage signs had been removed photo and the windows newspapered over photo. However, the outside was also freshly painted.
By July 2014 the newspaper had been replaced by decorative decals photo.