Mahala, 83 Church Street
- 07480 557155
- 83 Church Street, CR0 1RN
Romanian restaurant on the corner of Church Street and Old Palace Road. It opened in August 2016.
Accessibility: A small step to get in, no more than an inch. Toilets not checked.
- Photo of the grilled carp with polenta in April 2017
- Photo of the cabbage rolls with polenta in December 2019
- Croydon Advertiser article
- Philip Harfleet's memories of boxing training in the gym at the rear of the pub during the late 1940s
The Gun closed some time in the latter half of 2012, and by early December 2012 signs had appeared in the windows photo advertising the forthcoming opening of an American bar and grill called Big Mamma. This was open by mid-December 2012 photo, but closed again after a serious fire in late January 2014 which caused damage to the restaurant photo.
As of late March 2014, a sign in the window photo stated that it was closed until further notice, and as of June 2014 it was advertised to let photo of sign. Still vacant as of November 2014. Still vacant as of April 2015. Still vacant as of December 2015. Still vacant as of mid-May 2016.
- Photo of breaded mushrooms at Big Mamma in May 2013
- Photo of Big Mamma advertising flyer from December 2012/January 2013: front and back
- Photo of Big Mamma menu flyer from February 2013: starters and mains, drinks and desserts
As of August 2016, there were signs in the windows indicating that a Romanian restaurant called Mahala would be opening there soon. This was open by the end of the month photo.